Monday, May 9, 2011

Jeff Koons


I figured I would eventually write a blog about Jeff Koonz and here it is.  Being the most pronounced and profound contemporary artist of today, his works are currently the highest in demand.  His works are also extremely controversial, seeing that he does not craft them himself!  Koonz is unique, not only in his strange subject matter and blunt portrayal of popular culture, but in his process of creation.  He simply designs his projects and hires a staff of artists to do the work for him.  Whether or not he has any artistic skills, I am not sure, but many people are offended by he calling himself an artist, seeing that he only directs the progress and completion of his works.  The question arrises, if he does not craft his works... then are they truly his?

I believe that they are.  Artistic skill and personal craftsmanship is only part of what creates art.  Since art is open to such a wide interpretation, I would consider him an artist in that he has vision and intent in his "works" and aims to create a reaction in his viewers (whatever that might be).  But while I consider him an artist, I don't exactly hold a lot of respect or fondness for his works.

With the exception of the giant balloon dogs, I think that most of his works are ugly!  And rightly so.  Koons's works are often suggestive and gaudy, cheesy, and "over the top." They bluntly examine aspects of popular culture and portray themes such as irony, fantasy, and cultural stereotypes.  His works strongly remind me of Andy Warhol due to his wide variety of subject matter and again, his works' relation to pop culture.

Like Damien Hirst, I think a lot of Jeff Koons works are accomplished and created... because they can be due to their artist's wealth.



No comments:

Post a Comment